What’s with the heat?
The way we heat the “main” studio is unique, energy efficient, and well… pretty darn cool. The space is NOT heated by forced air and/or added humidity but by state of the art radiant heating panels that are installed in the ceiling. These infrared panels (which feel much like the heat of the sun) heat the occupants and objects in the room first rather than the air. This uses less energy and helps promote a healthier environment. We’ve strategically placed the units throughout the studio so there is a hotter side (i.e. more panels) and a “cooler” side (fewer to no panels). This means students can decide the heat level they’re comfortable with THAT DAY. In the more heavily paneled section it can get up to 95-100 degrees where as in the back where there are little to no panels it will be around 80 degrees – in the same room, at the same time. This is a great way to bring Hot /Heated Yoga to all populations based on their bodies, needs and comfort levels. Every BODY can try it and make it their own. Below is a list of few reasons to give Hot / Heated Yoga a try.
1. Flexibility: No, you won’t be forced into contortionist positions. The heat will allow you to safely reach new levels of personal flexibility in beginner’s postures, which is therapeutic for your body. Plus, let’s be honest, being flexible is cool.
2. Strength: Your own body is your gym. Yoga is low impact and forces you to use muscles you didn’t know you had. Also, a prime focus is on spine strength, which is key to a long healthy life!
3. Breath: With the added element of the heat, you won’t make it far if you don’t breathe deeply! If there is no breathing, there is no yoga. It won’t take long before you learn to breathe in a full and controlled manner.
4. Cardio: Your heart can work the same way doing yoga postures in a heated room as it does when running a mile, and you never even leave your mat. Particularly in postures when you are balancing and contracting your muscles at the same time. A 75-minute class can burn up to 800 calories. The way you stretch and compress your internal organs and glands also stimulates metabolism so you are burning calories quicker outside the room as well.
5. Detox: The heated room helps you to stretch more and get your cardio, but it also helps you sweat. The postures themselves combined with heavy sweating are detoxifying for your muscles, organs, and glands. It’s an excellent way to rid the body of toxins.